Yung Redd


Hey Yung Redd

How you doing I like that accent!

Thanks! I’m fine, how are you?

I’m cool ma’am just trying to make it!

So Yung Redd introduce your self and tell us what part of Houston are you from?

It’s Yung Redd and I’m from the South East side of Houston, Sunny side is like a real legendary area in Houston.

Why is it a legendary area?

The South East side is where all the first Houston rappers came up like Fat Pat, Lil Keke, DJ Screw and so on.

What made you want to start rapping?

It was kind of accidental man I played basketball and one day I was just around and met Lil Flip, we we’re best friends and he started me rapping so that’s how it happened.

Did Lil Flip give you your first break in music?

Me and Lil Flip became friends and he introduced me to my first label and that’s where it happened that was 1999, Suckerfree Records.

What artists have influenced you along the way?

Actually, Scarface, 8Ball and MJG, UGK, Lil Keke and my favourite rapper Fat Pat.

Maybe apart from Fat Pat who has passed away have you had a chance to work with your favourite artists?

Nah I have worked with Lil Keke of course and that’s pretty much it. Fat Pat is dead now so I never had a chance to work with him, but his brother Hawk was a good friend of mine so I worked with him too. Keke, I work with him all the time.

You’re signed to Swishahouse how did you all hook up?

I been putting put albums since 99 and T Farris is a real good friend of mine and he told me if he ever got on before I did he’d come back for me and he kept his promise. He just called me up like 3 in the morning and he asked me what my situation was and I just jumped on the chance.

So you’ve been putting out music since 1999 what have you put so far?

I’ve had 3 group albums, this is my first solo album called “Dead Presidents” that’s gonna be on a major. I’ve got a tower of mixtapes! I don’t even remember half of them there’s too many!! But I’ve sold a lot of records independent you know, under the radar.

Tell us about your album “Dead Presidents”, what can expect to hear on there?

Dead Presidents is just like you know everything people do for money. The situations they get in, the problems and the perks, how women treat you how dudes treat you, how people love you at first when you got it or when you ain’t got it how they don’t associate their self with you. It’s just the whole feel of money the things that go on when there’s money involved.

Who features on there?

You got Lil Keke course you got Paul Wall, Slim Thug and Z Ro I kept it real Texas and I got an up and coming cat called Killa Kyleon he rolls with Slim Thug and just mostly me, just me!

When will the album be out?

Beginning of 09 we’re just wrapping it up now.

Will you be dropping a single?

We could got with the single “Get Money” Drumma Boy produced it he produced “Put On” for Young Jeezy and Kanye. He produced my first single called “Get Money.”

Who else has done production on there?

I got my personal producer called X File he’s out of Louisiana he did some stuff for Lil Wayne and Ludacris and stuff but he’s my personal producer. Mr Lee he’s from Houston he’s done a lot of legendary Houston tracks.

Say if I came over to Houston and you were doing a show what could I expect to see at your show?

The future, I’m like the new breed of Houston, I don’t really rap the same way my accent is a little stronger than everybody else you know? I’m more on the new school the year 3000 kind of stuff. So that’s me!

Can you tell us what has been the biggest achievement so far in your career?

Making it out the hood and seeing the United States. I came from a real poor family and just making out the hood changes my situation. That has been the biggest accomplishment and it ain’t over with cause I’m young I’m 26 so I got a long way to go.
What advice would you pass on to somebody who is just getting in the game?

Study your craft, study the greats, and emulate what they did to become great. Don’t copy cat do your own thing, there’s enough room for everybody and everybody is different. Make sure you study your craft and sharpen all your skills man cause people look at that, you’ll go a long way like that.

For somebody just getting into your music what CD would you tell them to go and buy first?

Which ever one they can get their hands on, you can go and get “Eviction Notice” or most recently me and Paul most recently released “Paper or Plastic” you can look that up at http://www.swishahouse.biz/

Do you have a MySpace page where people can check out your music and videos?

Oh yeah sure that’s www.myspace.com/yungredd

What are Yung Redd’s plans for next year?

I’m trying to take over as many parts of the world that I can, when it’s all said and done I want them to say my name I want to be remembered in music.

Yung Redd thanks for taking the time out to do this interview is there anything you would like to add?

The future is a memory so I’m on my way I’m real close.

Interview by Jai Boowww.myspace.com/jaiboowolftown